The following is a list of the academic journal articles that the team at the RAC Communiqué and Health Law and Ageing Research Unit have published about residential aged care services. HLARU is a multi-disciplinary team with expertise in public health, aged care, health care and medico-legal death investigation led by Professor Joseph Ibrahim and is based at the Department of Forensic Medicine, Monash University.
We will continue to update our readers about future publications that are part of doctoral research programs into intentional deaths of RACS residents; unexplained absences and the application of dignity of risk in the RACS setting; choking deaths among Australian RACS residents and medication-related deaths.
If a reader is interested in a copy of any of the articles listed, please contact us directly by email.
- Ibrahim JE, Bugeja L, Willoughby M, Bevan M, Kipsaina C, Young C, Pham T, Ranson DL: Premature deaths of nursing home residents: an epidemiological analysis. Medical Journal of Australia. DOI:10.5694/mja16.00873.
- Bellenger, EN, Ibrahim JE, Lovell JJ, Bugeja L: The Nature and Extent of Physical Restraint–Related Deaths in Nursing Homes: A Systematic Review. Journal of Aging and Health 05/2017;, DOI:10.1177/0898264317704541.
- Willoughby M, Kipsaina C, Ferrah N, Blau S, Bugeja L, Ranson D, Ibrahim JE: Mortality in Nursing Homes Following Emergency Evacuation: A Systematic Review. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association 04/2017;, DOI:10.1016/j.jamda.2017.02.005.
- Smith D, Bugeja L, Cunningham N, Ibrahim JE: A Systematic Review of Sexual Assaults in Nursing Homes. The Gerontologist 04/2017;, DOI:10.1093/geront/gnx022.
- Woolford M.H., Weller C., Ibrahim J.E. Unexplained Absences and Risk of Death and Injury Among Nursing Home Residents: A Systematic Review. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association 02/2017;, DOI:10.1016/j.jamda.2017.01.007.
- Ferrah N, Ibrahim JE, Kipsaina C, Bugeja L: Death Following Recent Admission Into Nursing Home From Community Living: A Systematic Review Into the Transition Process. Journal of Aging and Health 02/2017;, DOI:10.1177/0898264316686575.
- Aitken G, Murphy B, Pilgrim J, Bugeja L, Ranson DL, Ibrahim JE. Frequency of forensic toxicological analysis in external cause deaths among nursing home residents: an analysis of trends. Forensic Science, Medicine, and Pathology 2017 13(1):1-6. DOI:10.1007/s12024-016-9830-9.
- Bellenger E; Ibrahim JE; Bugeja L; Kennedy B. Physical restraint deaths in a 13-year national cohort of nursing home residents. Age and Ageing 2017; doi: 10.1093/ageing/afw246.
- Ferrah N, Lovell JJ, Ibrahim JE: Systematic Review of the Prevalence of Medication Errors Resulting in Hospitalization and Death of Nursing Home Residents. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 11/2016; DOI:10.1111/jgs.14683.
- Hitchen T, Ibrahim JE., Woolford M., Bugeja L., Ranson DL., Premature and preventable deaths in older people: a new perspective. Ageing and Society 2016; -1. DOI:10.1017/S0144686X16000428.
- Pham T., Ibrahim JE., Kitching F., Bohensky M., Aged care and health care professionals’ self-reported impact of printed educational material on clinical practice. Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions. 2016 Winter;36(1):38-45. doi: 10.1097/CEH.0000000000000030.
- Bugeja L., Ibrahim JE., Ferrah NM., Murphy B., Willoughby M., Ranson DL., The utility of electronic medico-legal databases for public health research: a systematic review of reports from peer-reviewed publications using the National Coronial Information System. Health Research Policy and Systems 2016. 04/2016; 14(1). DOI:10.1186/s12961-016-0096-1.
- Chadwick, L. M., MacPhail, A., Ibrahim, J. E., McAuliffe, L., Koch, S., & Wells, Y. (2015). Senior staff perspectives of a quality indicator program in public sector residential aged care services: Australian Health Review, early view. DOI:10.1071/AH14197.
- Ibrahim, J.E., Murphy, B.J., Bugeja, L., Ranson, D. (2015). Nature and Extent of External-Cause Deaths of Nursing Home Residents in Victoria. Australia. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 05/2015; 63(5). DOI:10.1111/jgs.13377.
- Kitching F, Winbolt M, MacPhail A, Ibrahim JE. Web-based social media for professional medical education: Perspectives of senior stakeholders in the nursing home sector. Nurse Education Today 05/2015; DOI:10.1016/j.nedt.2015.05.013.
- Ferrah, N., Murphy, B.J., Ibrahim, J.E., Bugeja, L.C., Winbolt., M., LoGiudice, D., Flicker, L., & Ranson, D. (2015). Resident-to-resident physical aggression leading to injury in nursing homes: a systematic review. Age Ageing 44(3): 356-364.
- Murphy BJ, Bugeja L, Pilgrim J, Ibrahim JE. Completed suicide among nursing home residents: a systematic review: International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 05/2015; DOI:10.1002/gps.4299.
- Kennedy B, Ibrahim JE, Bugeja L, Ranson D. Causes of Death Determined in Medicolegal Investigations in Residents of Nursing Homes: A Systematic Review. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society: 2014 62 (8), 1513-1526.
- Ibrahim JE., Chadwick L, MacPhail A, McAuliffe L, Koch S, Wells Y. Use of quality indicators in nursing homes in Victoria, Australia: A cross-sectional descriptive survey. 2014 J Aging Health 2014; 26:824-840.
- Ibrahim JE., Bugeja L., Ranson D., Using existing information from medico-legal death investigations for improving care of older people in Residential Aged Care Services. Journal of Law and Medicine 2013; 21:255-261.